Historical Dates for Norwood, Ohio.

  • 1890 (January 14)
    In the Ohio House of Representatives, a bill was passed authorizing the village of Norwood to issue bonds not exceeding $10,000 to build a Town Hall. Representative Lamping was the sponsor.

  • 1890 (January 25)
    The Ohio State Senators from Hamilton County met with residents of Norwood at the Palace Hotel this night, to discuss a pending bill allowing for the issuance of bonds of $10,000 for the purchase of a Town Hall. A suitable building with a 150 by 200 feet lot was available for $5,200. The remaining $4,800 would be used for additions or improvements that may be needed. There were presentations by the citizens for and against the project. Petitions were presented—one for was signed by 111 persons, one against was signed by 119. However, some of those who had signed the negative petition had changed their minds and had signed the positive petition later. Those against wanted the matter submitted to a vote of the residents first.

  • 1890 (January 29)
    The bill authorizing Norwood to borrow money to build a Town Hall became a law. However, it was amended so that only $5,000 could be borrowed—not $10,000.

  • 1890 (March 3)
    By Ordinance 69, the Council of the Village of Norwood votes to purchase the eight-year-old Town Hall from the Norwood Hall Association. The actual sale takes place on June 20.

  • 1890 (March 9)
    On a Sunday, Peter J. Schneider's home at 1702 Sherman Avenue, west of Carter Street, burns down, frustrating the efforts to save it by his neighbors and fellow members of St. Elizabeth's Parish.

  • 1890 (March 12 - some sources give date as March 10)
    The West Norwood Volunteer Fire Department is organized after Mr. Schneider's home burned down three days previous. Although it is commonly thought to be the first fire brigade in the Norwoods, a volunteer fire brigade was created and in operation two years previously in South Norwood.

  • 1890 (March 17)
    Only eight days after the West Norwood fire, an even larger blaze hits the east side of Montgomery Pike, north of the B. & O. S.W. tracks and across from Carthage Avenue. Destroyed are the livery stable of L. G. Joyce (maybe later known as the F. Schafer & Company livery and boarding stable), the blacksmith shop (maybe at 4920 Montgomery Road) and dwelling house (maybe 4926 Montgomery Road) of Frank Gerde, and the dwelling of a Mr. Littleton. All the horses are burned and the total monetary loss is $20,000 with only $8,500 covered by insurance.

    This is probably a very frightening and memorable time for Mrs. Gerde. At the time of the disaster, she has two young children: Mamie, 4½, and Charley, 2½. Coincidently, nine months later, according to at least one record, she gave birth to another son, Arthur.

    This disaster leads to the establishment of the Norwood Volunteer Fire Company, which locates on Montgomery Road at Smith Road, just south of the bridge. (Some sources give the date of organization as January 23, 1892—almost 2 years after the fire!)

  • 1890 (March 26)
    The Circuit Court decided that a case of the annexation by Norwood of a strip of land in the Elsmere area had to be sent back for retrial. There were many errors in the annexation process that the Common Pleas Court needed to consider.

  • 1890 (April 13)
    The Board of Improvements is created.

  • 1890 (May 9)
    This morning, burglars stole $180 in cash and a lot of cigars and tobacco from Scott Shoemaker's grocery in Norwood.

  • 1890 (June) Jackson Slane, Norwood pioneer, dies. On February 18th, 1868, he was one of the signers of the call for a vote on the establishment of a separate Sharpsburg school district. He was one of three chosen to be members of the first independent board of education of the new district.

  • 1890 (June 20)
    The Village formally purchases the Norwood Town Hall from the Norwood Town Hall Association. This building is used by Norwood's government until it is replaced by the present City Hall in 1915.

  • 1890 (June 21) The Duckcreek Baptist Church's held its last meeting at the low brick church overlooking Duck Creek, at Edmondson Road. It was a celebration of the Columbia Baptist Church's 100th anniversary. The congregation had already moved to Mt. Lookout. The church started at the Columbia pioneer settlement, moved to Duck Creek, to Mt. Lookout, and finally near Hyde Park Square.

  • 1890 (July 4)
    The West Norwood Volunteer Firehouse is dedicated. The firehouse was destroyed by fire in 1894. It was replaced with a brick structure. By the early part of the 20th century the old firehouse has become a tavern and restaurant.

  • 1890 (July 8, 10 & 15)
    A notice by S. Kuhn & Sons, Bankers, listed four municipal bonds offerings. The bond for the Norwood Town Hall were 5 per cent.

  • 1890 (July 21)
    The purchase of the Montgomery Turnpike, within the village limits, is approved by council with Ordinance 101. This is the first step in the construction of the electric car tracks. Since the county was reviewing bids back in June 1888, one wonders if, for two years, there was a legal tie-up with Henry Martin's assertion that he owns the right-of-way on the pike.

  • 1890 (August 19-21)
    The Ohio State Tournament of Archers and the annual gathering of the National Archery Association was held in Norwood. After the first day of shooting, lunch was served at Norwood Town Hall by the laldies of the Presbyterian Church. Mrs. M. C. Howell, won the ladies' national medal with 141 hits and 906 points. Mrs. Albert Kern, of Dayton, won the State medal. The men's medal was won by L. W. Maxon. The participants in team rounds on the morning of the 20th were Ivanhoe, Fairmount, Walnut Hills, Norwood and Robin Hood clubs.

  • 1890 (September 3)
    Nineteen-year-old Walter Bell dies near the East Norwood train station, after he hops onto a east-bound freight train. He was on his way to work in East Norwood, at the Bullock plant (today, the site of Siemen's). He had moved to Norwood with his brother Howard a year ago. When their mother, Jennie Bell of Avenue, Ohio, near Columbus, heard of her son's death, she died, too.

  • 1890 (October 15)
    In celebration of the one-hundredth anniversary of Presbyterianism in the Ohio Valley, a special chartered train leaves Cincinnati at 9:15 A.M. for addresses and a luncheon at Pleasant Ridge. In the afternoon, the train returns to Cincinnati for more meetings and services. The train likely travels on the Cincinnati, Lebanon and Northern Railroad tracks through the 2½ year-old Village of Norwood.

  • 1890 (Oct 12)
    St. Elizabeth Church was dedicated at 2:30 p.m. by Archbishop Elder with assistance by Vicar-General Father Albrinck and other clergy. Joining the celebration and parade were societies from St. Francis de Sales Church, Walnut Hills, St. Paul Church and St. Boniface, Cumminsville, and the Knights of St. George and the Knights of St. Paul from Reading.

  • 1890
    The third municipal election in Norwood takes place.

  • 1890 (December 5)
    A party was held at the Norwood Town Hall this evening with at least 70 in attendance. It was to be the first in a series of social events this winter. Dancing was the evening activity until a dinner was served at midnight. Afterwards, the social festivities resumed.

  • 1890
    According to "Historical Collections of Ohio: An Encyclopedia of the State: History Both General and Local, ..." by Henry Howe, 1891, the 1890 census population numbers for Norwood (composed of the major subdivisions of South Norwood, East Norwood and "old" Norwood) is 1,390 and for West Norwood, 612.

  • 1891 (January 26)
    A. O. Russell, head of Russell, Morgan & Co. and later the U. S. Playing Card Company, was seriously hurt while riding the 5 p.m. Walnut Hills Cable car from downtown to Norwood. He was changing his position by walking on the narrow foot-board on the outside of the "grip car" when the grip-man picked up the cable, causing the car to jerk ahead. Mr. Russell fell backward, swung around between the cars and was dragged along on the asphalt pavement about fifty feet. He held on, preventing himself from being run over. When the car was stopped he fell and went under the trail-car. However, he was tightly wedge under the car's framework. The cars were decoupled, the passengers were removed from the rear car, and the rest of the cars were moved forward. Then a number of bystanders helped lift the heavy car, so Mr. Russell could be taken out. He was taken to the Post Office, where he was examined by a physician. There were cuts and loss of skin on several parts of his head. His son took him to Good Samaritan Hospital where it was determined that there were internal injures, also.

  • 1891 (February)
    The first building for the Norwood Presbyterian Church was constructed at Smith Road and Floral Avenue. Before the church was built, religious services were held in the schoolhouse and then the town hall, taking turns with other denominations in planning the services.

  • 1891
    Its the fourth municipal election and a new mayor is elected - Aaron McNeill.

  • 1891 (June 30)
    The first car on the Norwood Electric Railway made a trial trip. The end was just this side of East Norwood with the tracks passing to the south, Elsmere, Idlewild, Sunnyside and Ivanhoe.

  • 1891 (July 1)
    The regular runs of the Norwood Electric streetcar from Eden Park to Norwood began this morning. Reportedly this created the strongest growth of any local community at the time. The tracks are placed on the east side of the road, but,years later, were moved to the center.

  • 1891 (July 3)
    The 13th Ohio State Archery Association tournament concluded today in Norwood. The medals, trophies and prizes were awarded to the winners at the Norwood Town Hall.

  • 1891 (July 4)
    Norwood combined Independence Day and the completion of the electric railway with a grand celebration. Officials from neighboring towns were invited to join the festivities. There were several base ball games with other suburban teams, a fireworks display from the ball grounds in the evening and dancing on a large platform that had been constructed for the occassion. Battery B of the First Artillery Regiment fired five cannons at noon in symbolism of the five-cent fare and then presented a forty-four gun salute to the Nation. At 3 p.m., the Great Western Band played "America" at Town Hall. Mayor McNeil then welcomed the visitors. Judge David Davis, Senator Hardacre, of California, Colonel William Bundy, C. F. Maisbury and W. G. Williams took turns addressing the crowd. The Linwoods and Norwoods, both of the Miami Valley League, played a game of base-ball. In the evening, Town Hall was reserved for dancing. The fireworks opened with a shield displaying the word "Welcome," followed by an electric car, trolley wires, switch boxes, and on the side the words, "Keep your eye on Norwood." Then there was a discharge of rockets, roman candles and fountains. The display ended with a piece which read, "Good-night. Five cents to Cincinnati."

    John C. Weaver, superintendent of the street railway said that 10,000 people paid the five-cents fare. Fifteen extra policemen were hired and a couple Cincinnati police detectives were on hand to keep the celebration safe. The Great Western Band's three-car tour of the Walnut Hills cable brought them to the junction with the electric road, where they found over 500 passengers waiting for cars. So, the band marched the two miles up the Montgomery Pike to Norwood. All the trolley poles, cars, Town Hall, Knights of Pythias Hall and private buildings were decorated with flags and bunting.

  • 1891 (mid-July)
    Architect Theo. A. Richter, Jr., completed the plans for two new brick school houses, to be erected at Norwood, costing $6,000 each.

  • 1891 (July)
    Chris Pharo, Vine-street baker, bought land in Norwood from John Pharo for $2,600. The 101-1/2 by 317 feet lot was on the south-west corner of Montgomery and Mills. This was later the home of an outdoor theater and today is the site of a gasoline station.

  • 1891 (August 8)
    In an article describing the troubles in Cincinnati, point is made about how the city is growing. As an example, the Cincinnati Enquirer writer states, "Run out to Norwood on the longest five-cent street-car line that the world knows of."

  • 1891 (September 1-12)
    A "Mammoth Bazaar" is held at Sanker's Garden to raise money to expand St. Elizabeth's Church. Over $6,000 is raised and on the 24th, the adjoining lot on Lincoln Avenue was purchased.

  • 1891 (September 17)
    The Baptists of Cincinnati and vicinity met at Norwood Town Hall at 3 p.m. for ceremonies relating to the Baptist Church being built in Norwood. At the end of the afternoon meeting, the cornerstone of the new church was laid. Services were conducted by Rev. Johnston Myers at 7:30 p.m.

  • 1891 (October 5) Ordinance No. 273, is passed by council to accept the second annexation by the young Village of Norwood. It adds land to the south of the village — south of Hudson Avenue, east of Elsmere Avenue and north of Duckcreek Road and the C., P. & V. R. R. tracks (previously known as the Cincinnati & Eastern Railway).

  • 1891 (November 14)
    At a meeting of the County Commissioners, the County Engineer recommended that $100 be spent on removing the slippage on Highland Avenue in Norwood.

  • 1891 (November 14)
    A meeting, called by Mayor McNeill, was held at 8 p.m. at Norwood Town Hall. The purpose was to come up with was to get Norwood a pure water supply. This was considered one of the most important question for the citizens at the time. A committee of three residents had been created earlier to investigate the water systems of Carthage and Hartwell. The committe was to report their results at the meeting.

  • 1891 (December 7)
    There was a fire at a two-story frame building on Elsmere Avenue, about a block east of Montgomery Road around 7;30 p.m. The West Norwood Volunteer Fire Brigade, headed by Chief Joseph Espahl, could not save the structure, but did prevent the destruction of two adjoining buildings. The lost building was the carpenter shop of Peter Kizer. A shed, lumber and other building materials, and tools were destroyed.

  • 1892 (January 22)
    The Dexter Lumber Company, Norwood, was incorporated today with a capital stock of $25,000. The location of the company is now the site of the Norwood Frisch on Montgomery Road at the Norwood Lateral.

  • 1892 (January 23)
    The Norwood Fire Company No. 1 is organized, supposedly after a large fire destroyed several buildings on the east side of the Montgomery Pike, north of the B.&O S.W. tracks. (This date is according to the Norwood Fire Department's History Page.)

  • 1892 (January 30)
    State Representative Korte's bill allowing the Village of Norwood to issue $10,000 in bonds was not voted on as planned today because there were not enough members present. It will be put on Monday's agenda. His bill authorizing the Hamilton County Commissioners to purchase the part of Montgomery Pike in county limits was reported back to the Committee on Turnpikes. The bill was replaced with another that allowed the Commissioners to condemn and buy as much as they saw fit. The reason given was that a portion of the road had a cloudy and defective title. This new bill will be voted on next Monday, also.

  • 1892 (February 25)
    A newspaper account of a private game of Faro played at Bill Locke" s saloon on Montgomery Pike this Thursday night was printed a few days later. A Cincinnati business man was having drinks at a well-known resort, when he was told of the opportunity of gambling at the Norwood establishment. By the time he had finished his adventure, he had lost more than $11,000! Norwood was too far for every-day games, but private parties with selected players were accommodated. It was said that Locke's brother was the ex-Chief of Police of Newport, Kentucky. He had run a faro game at the "Terrace," just at the end of the Licking Bridge. It was suggested that the equipment used at the "Terrace" was now being used in Norwood.

  • 1892 (March 29)
    The State of Ohio passed a law authorizing the Hamilton County Commissioners to purchase all or any part of the "Cincinnati, Montgomery, Hopkinsville, Sharpsburg, Rochester and Clarksville turnpike, known as the Cincinnati and Montgomery turnpike" and maintain it as a free turnpike. Text of the Ohio State House Bill allowing Hamilton County to purchase Montgomery Pike.

  • 1892 (April 12?)
    In the fifth municipal election, the School Board Trustees were elected with the following results: Harold Ryland, 210 votes; Charles Weisenfelder, 193; A. P. Hagenmeyer, 157; Edward R. Edwards, 63; George Puchta, 90. Short term: W. C. Cadman, 221; August Maurer, 187.

  • 1892 (April 13)
    A Hamilton County delegation of the Ohio House of Representatives met with the Committee on County Affairs to discuss the Korte bill. This legislature provides for the widening of all county and state road in Hamilton County under the control of the County Commissioners upon which a steam, electric or cable road operates. The width is limited to eighty feet. The costs after the widening will be assessed back to the abutting property owners. A delegation of Norwood citizens, with ex-Governor Foraker as spokesman, came to Columbus to support the bill. The Norwood citizens were James Harper, W. E. Bundy, Aaron McNeill, H. C. Meader, Wallace Davis and J. U. Lloyd. There reason was that Montgomery Pike from the city to Norwood might be widened.

    The following afternoon, the bill was passed by the House. The first road to be widened will be Montgomery Pike, from Walnut Hills to Norwood.

  • 1892 (April 18)
    A two-weeks-old baby boy was left on the steps of Norwood Town Hall. After a Council meeting, Councilman Al Korte was walking down the steps when he touched something with his right foot. It was the baby wrapped in a shawl. He took it to Dr. Tidball's house where it was cared for until April 19, when it was taken to the Foundling Asylum. It was assumed the child was left by a woman seen walking along the street with a baby around 10 o'clock. It was assumed she came and return to the city on the electric streetcar.

  • 1892 (May 8)
    The Catholic Knights of America, Branch 60, celebrated its thirteenth anniversary at St. Elizabeth's Church. At 6:15-6:30 a.m., the approximately 120 members (the largest membership of any C. K. of A. group in America), and their wives, took the electric streetcars from the Custom-House Square in Cincinnati to Norwood. After a reception and high mass, the groups was escorted to Sanker's Hall for breakfast.

  • 1892 (May 13)
    C. E. Page's family barely escaped death early this morning at their Cameron Avenue home. The seven-year-old daughter awoke her parents, complaining that she was smothering. When Mr. Page got up he discovered that the bedroom was filled with the odor of gas. He opened the doors, and aroused his wife and a female servant in another part of the house. In the basement, he discovered a leak in the furnace, which he stopped.

  • 1892 (July 9)
    Citizens of Norwood held a meeting in Norwood Town Hall this evening to organize against the changed operation of the electric streetcar line. Last week, in response to a petition signed by the residents of Walnut Hills against the unsafe speed of the cars, the Consolidated Street Railroad Company reduced the speed of its cars. However, this increased the one-way trip time from forty to fifty-five minutes. At the Norwood meeting, presided by Mayor McNeill, a committee was formed to persuade the company to go back to the original schedule. One of the resolutions adopted by the attendees was to use other means of transportation, such as the railroads that pass throught the village. The electric road, which Norwood citizens had helped in its construction, had almost ruined the business of those railroads. There wasn't much believe that this boycott would have much weight, since the Walnut Hills traffic was much larger than the Norwood ridership and the Walnut Hills trade was enough to pay the expenses.

  • 1892 (August 1)
    Council passed ordinances to improve Section Avenue from Elm Avenue to the northern end and Hopkin Avenue from the west line of Montgomery Pike to the west line of Huston Avenue.

  • 1892 (August 10)
    The Post-office authorities notified the Norwood Postmaster that free delivery will be instituted as soon as the streets are named and the houses are numbered.

  • 1892 (August 10)
    The West Norwood Volunteer Company christened their new Button pump engine and reel this evening. The engine was named the McNeill, in honor of Mayor Aaron McNeill, who attended the celebration.

  • 1892 (September 3)
    The Norwood Volunteer Fire Company No. 1 received a new hook and ladder wagon.

  • 1892 (September 10)
    After entertainment and a reception at the Central School building, this afternoon, visitors were taken for a tour of the new Highland Avenue school (later called North Norwood School and Marion School).

  • 1892 (ca. September 10)
    The Warren-Scharf Company was awarded the contract for paving Park Avenue.

  • 1892 (ca. September 23)
    Postmaster Zumstein commissioned John L. Vine as clerk in charge of the Norwood Postal Station. The station at Vine's Drugstore will support Norwood, Ivanhoe and Idlewild for mail that can not be delivered by the local carriers. The station will have mail boxes, money orders and postal notes as well as mailing facilities.

  • 1892 (September 30)
    Three Kentucky "pool sharks" were taken in by another at Bill Locke's Saloon. The three thought they could take a "drunken man" at pool, however, he ended up taking $70 from them. He apparently wasn't so drunk and he left before they could get revenge.

  • 1892 (October 11?)
    Joe Langdon formally offered some of his land for the extension of Marion and Locust Streets, so that East and South Norwoods could be connected. The dedication was to be completed aT the next council meeting. Note: Locust Street was the East Norwood street that was renamed Forest Avenue after the street of that name in South Norwood was connected with the East Norwood street. The part of Forest Avenue between Park Avenue and the railroad tracks (or Harris Avenue) was part of the land being offered.

  • 1892 (October 14-15)
    The Young Men's Charity Society presented a stereopticon view show each of these two nights at Norwood Town Hall. The profits were to be used to pay the debts of the missing Rev. J. B. Rheinhardt.

  • 1892 (October 15)
    Fifty-year old Miss Spreen, the Norwood Town Hall janitor, fell from the stage while cleaning up after the evening's entertainment. She broke her nose and seriously injured her face. Doctor Hopkins treated her.

  • 1892 (October 21)
    The Norwood Republican Party met at Town Hall this night. The membership numbers about seventy-five.

  • 1892 (October 22)
    A meeting was held at Town Hall this evening to discuss the proposed new Water Works. Speaking for the issuance of bonds for the project were Messrs. J. U. Lloyd, J. M. Thompson, Dr. A. Springer and Solicitor Bundy.

  • 1892 (October 25)
    A wagon accident occured around noon today. Henry Knost, a Norwood dairyman, was driving his milk wagon on Montgomery Pike, when his horse was frightened by a passing electric street car. As the horse took off, one of the front wheels caught in the tracks. As both front wheels came off, Mr. Knost was thrown to the street. The horse, and the breaking-up wagon went down Maple and turned north on Section to the B. & O. Station. John Tidball stopped the horse with just the shafts remaining attached to it. Debris and milk cans were strewn all along the path. Mr. Knost was badly cut and bruised.

  • 1892 (October 29)
    The Norwood Republican Party had a rally at Sanker's Garden this evening. The guest speakers were Congressman Bellamy Storer, Colonel D. W. McClung and C. L. Nippert. Beacuse of the cold weather, the attendance was less than hoped.

  • 1892 (November 1)
    Some boys built a bonfire of leaves in the Mound area. It got out of hand and threatened the A. O. Russell residence and property along the C., L. & N. R. R. Before the fire department was needed, the wind changed, causing the fire to move in another direction. A rainfall then extinguished the fire.

  • 1892 (November 4)
    The Norwood Democrats had a rally at Norwood Town Hall. The speakers were R. B. Bowler, A. A. Brown and F. Q. Norton.

  • 1892 (November 7)
    The third annexation is accepted by Norwood with Ordinance No. 445. It is composed of properties of Edwin McMillan and others. This land is to the east of Montgomery Road, to the west of Regent Avenue, to the south of Hudson Avenue, and to the north of the C., P. & V. R. R. tracks.

  • 1892 (November 8)
    Citizens vote to build a municipal water works by approving a bond issue of $50,000, at an interest rate of 5-1/2% per year, and maturing in 10 to 20 years.

  • 1892 (November 21)
    Ordinance No. 451 is passed by council. It provides for the construction of the Water Works and the establishment of a Board of Trustees for same.

  • 1892 (November 23)
    The Norwood Volunteer Fire Company No. 1 gave a ball at Sanker's Pavillion this night. The proceeds will go to the purchase of a bell for the engine house.

    Council passed twenty-seven ordinances for assessments of street and sidewalk improvements. On the list of streets to be worked on were Mentor, Maple, Highland, Cameron and Maple.

  • 1892 (December 6)
    The 100 people of Norwood, frustrated by the inaction of the Hamilton County Board of Control in purchasing the Montgomery Pike, came before the Board to argue their case. Mayor McNeill was the spokesman. The Board said it had been misunderstood and was now ready to act.

    At that time the Pike was owned by three corporations. The first three quarters of a mile from the north corporation line of Cincinnati to Williams Avenue was the property of the Cincinnati and Sharpsburg Turnpike Company, headed by President William Mathers. However, there was some doubt of deed title. The second section, from Williams Avenue to the old Norwood north corporation line was owned by Fred Mehmert. The third section, from the old corporation line to proposed north-east line of Silverton, was owned by the Cincinnati, Montgomery, Hopkinsville, Rochester and Clarksville Turnpike Company. The value of the three sections, not including toll houses and lots adjoing the right of way, were, in order, $14,400, $13,800 and $16,800.

  • 1892 (December 11)
    The Zion Church at Norwood had its first service in its new church at the corner of Sherman and Walter Avenues. A full day of activites were scheduled for this day, starting with a short service at 9:30 a.m. and ending in the evening with a mission feast to be attended by several congregations and their pastors. Addresses by three of the pastors were made in German and English. Last Sunday was the last meeting at the Town Hall, where the Zion Church worshipped for just one year.

  • 1892 (December 16)
    At about 5:30 P.M., Ralph Sherlock, the ten-year-old son of John W. Sherlock was hit by B. & O Train No. 25 while he was crossing the tracks at East Norwood. He was knocked fifty feet. He was carried to his home where he was examined by Dr. Hopkins. His injuries were a fractured jaw, painful bruises on his body and limbs and cuts on his head. He was expected to recover in three or four weeks.

  • 1892 (Dec 17 & 21 --newspaper column date)
    Next Friday evening a new lodge of the Ancient Order of United Workmen will be insituted at Norwood with thirty-five (or forty) charter members, including Mayor McNeill. The lodge was organized by District Deputy Moorehead.

  • 1892 (December 26)
    At 8:30 this morning, the home of Ralph Bellsmith was discovered to be in flames. The fire started from a leaking coal oil stove in the attic. The prompt action of the Norwood Fire Company No. 1 confined the fire resulting in not more than $200 in damage. Mr. Bellsmith provided the photographs in the 1894 book "Norwood, Her Homes and Her People." His home was at the site of today's Sharpburg Primary School.

    Another Norwood residential fire was extinguished resulting in a small loss. A defective furnace, in the cellar of Marion Langdon's home on Harris Avenue, caused the flames that damaged the joist and woodwork around the furnace.

  • 1892 (December 31)
    Doctors Cadwallader and Hopkins of Norwood announced that they had a fresh supply of "bovine virus" (smallpox vaccine). They suggested that persons whose children had not been vaccinated come to their offices at once.

  • 1893 (January 9)
    Two ordinances concerning streets are passed by Norwood Council.

    The first is Ordinance No. 483. Its purpose is to widen and straighten Smith Road between Montgomery Road and Duck Creek Road. The improvement requires the taking of strips of land, varying from 5 to 15 feet wide, from the properties along the street.

    The second, Ordinance No. 487, appropriates property in the "triangle area" between Carthage Avenue and Montgomery Road, so that Highland Avenue can be extended from Montgomery Road to Carthage Avenue.

    At some later time that short street is abandoned. However, by 2002, there are preliminary plans to recreate this street segment as the access point from Montgomery Road to the proposed development "Linden Point on the Lateral." Because of concern of increased traffic on Highland Avenue, this plan is modified. In 2007, an extension of Norwood Avenue (another re-creation of an abandoned street) from Montgomery Road to Section Avenue is built as the main entrance (there appears to be limited access from Montgomery Road, across from Highland Avenue, however). In October, 2007, Council passes an ordinance naming the street Joseph E. Sanker Boulevard in honor of a former mayor.

  • 1893 (January 17)
    It was reported that The Card Electric Motor and Dynamo Company, formerly a Kentucky corporation, was under new ownership and incorporated in Ohio. The factory and offices remained at the old location—the southeast corner of Second and Plum. The officers were J. W. Wilshire, President and Treasurer; George Bullock, Vice-President; C. B. Simrall, Secretary and Otto W. Janiz, Electrician. Later, Bullock would take over the company, rename it after himself, move it to Norwood and sell it to Allis-Chalmers. The Norwood business is now part of Siemans.

  • 1893 (February 10)
    A concert, the second in a series, was given at the Norwood Town Hall by the Norwood Orchestra.

  • 1893 (ca. February 12)
    The test well of the Water Works hit rock at 233 feet. As it could not be drilled with the equipment being used, work stopped. Water was standing in the piping at 180(?) feet below the surface. Casing was driven down and pumping test would be made next Tuesday (14th), to determine the daily capacity of the well. This information would determine the number of wells needed.

  • 1893 (ca. February 23)
    The Cowan Hall Company issued a circular with a full description of a proposed building, asking for purchase of its stock. The building was to be a 65 by 50 feet, four-story brick structure. Three stores, four flats, a small hall and a lodge room, for the Knights of Pythias, would be the uses. Although its tenants and owners have changed over the years, the building still stands at the northwest corner of Montgomery and Waverly.

  • 1893 (April 4)
    At the sixth municipal election, Mayor McNeill is re-elected. The entire Citizen's ticket was elected: Mayor, Aaron McNeil; Treasurer, John C. Masker; Clerk, W. E. Wichgar; Solicitor, W. E. Bundy; Council, John Rolsen, Albert Berter and J. J. Hess; Sealer, William Damen; Marshal, Ben Zeis; School Board, A. T.? Hagenmeyer; Water-works Trustees one year, Henry Rikoff, two years, George Putcha and three years, A. A. Springer.

  • 1893 (April 17)
    The Board of Education met this Monday evening. The officers were elected: H. C. Strobel, President; Harold Ryland, Treasurer, and C. M. Flower, Clerk.A proposition to issue $10,000 in bonds was discussed. The money would be used to add two rooms to each of the schools, making four rooms each, as orginally planned. Black boards, sidewalks, heating equipment, fencing and grading would be added to the contractor bid of $7,897 for the rooms to make the full $10,000.

  • 1893 (April 18)
    The Village Council had its first meeting of the fiscal year. The only change in members was that of Al Berger replacing W. S. Gwynn. Mayor McNeill remarked that in the past five years Norwood had progressed from a farming community to a village of over 5,000 with well-built and well-lighted streets. The tax duplicate was increasing at the rate of $250,000 per year, giving the current number of $2,250,000. He said the Town hall was inadequate and recommended a new hall be built. Also, because of the recent crimes, he suggested the hiring of two more night duty police officers.

    The Water Works Trustees decided that a steel tank reservoir was needed after test showed that the water from the wells could not stand exposure to the sunlight as that made it unfit for use. The second well had reached a depth of 175 feet and was now going through gravel. It was determined that the flow of the underground water was into the Millcreek and not the Ohio River as originally thought.

  • 1893 (ca. April 23)
    The second water works well is now at 213 feet depth. Since the character of the ground appears the same as the first well, it was expected that water would be found at the same depth–238 feet.

  • 1893 (April 27)
    A special meeting of the Village Council was conducted this evening to pick a Trustee for the Montgomery Road. J. U. LLoyd was declared the winner.

  • 1893 (April 30)
    The German Evangilical Reformed Zion Church was dedicated at 2 p.m. this Sunday. German services will be held in the morning and English in the evening. The building, at Sherman and Walter Avenues, is a two-story frame, 50 feet by 34 feet, with a steeple. It and the lot cost between $7,000 and $8,000. The church was organized on January 10, 1892, with thirty members. It is the seventh church in Norwood. Rev. Joseph L. Schatz is the pastor.

  • 1893 (April 30)
    Company D, First Regiment, O. N. G., Captain D. W. O'Neill, planned to give an exhibition drill at Town Hall tonight.

  • 1893 (ca. June 18)
    Professor C. M. Flowers, Superintendent of Norwood Schools, accepted the position of Assistant Professor of Elocation at the Cincinnati College of Music, his alma mater.

  • 1893 (June 19)

  • 1893 (July 3)
    At this Monday evening's regular meeting of the Village Council, several items were brought up: a proposition to light the village with electricity was referred to the Committee on Fire and Light; cement sidewalks were requested by Section Avenue residents; ordinance was passed for a special tax for the improvement of Elm Avenue, from Section to Montgomery; resolutions passed for putting sewers on and improving of Hudson Avenue; ordinance was passed for the Forest Avenue improvement to connect East and South Norwood; approval of a special tax ordinance of $2.90/front foot for Grove Avenue property; contract let for the improvement of Carthage Avenue; ordinance read and referred to Committee on Law and Contracts for giving the Ohio Telephone Company the right to use the streets of Norwood for the erection of poles and stringing of telephone wires.

    After the Council meeting, Council met with the Water Works Trustees in a closed meeting. The costs for the Water Works project were more than expected and an additional $50,000 was needed (especially for the water tank to be built on the Heights). After much discussion and disagreement, the Council voted to delay the work until after the citizens voted at the election next Tuesday (July 12). Both sides agreed that the voters would approve the additional bonds. However, one group believed that the work should continue without stoppage. If the additional funds were not approved, only East Norwood would be supplied with water —but, not South and West Norwood.

  • 1893 (July 12)
    The special election to issue $50,000 additional Water Works bonds was passed. The citizens voted at the two polling places — Town Hall and Ivanhoe Station on Wednesday. The turnout was light, considering the importance of the issue. The vote was 175 for and 10 against. The majority of the balloting was in East Norwood, where the outcome was 110 to 4, but 2 of those votes were in error. Even the Water Works Trustee President Springer, who was a very smart man, was confused by the ballot language.

  • 1893 (July 15)
    John Hoasman's brick yard in Norwood had a disaster today as over 50,000 were destroyed when the frames, upon which the bricks were drying in the sun, collapsed. The damaged was estimated at $2,000.

  • 1893 (August 16-25?)
    St. Elizabeth had a fair to raise fund for a school house. Several activities were conducted from 2 to 11 p.m. each day. Friday, 24th, was declared "Norwood Night." A bowling contest was held at Mersch's alleys, opposite the church. The price was a horse and buggy. This was the first time the rubber balls and pins (which were said to be noiseless) were used here.

  • 1893 (December 23)
    This night, a four-week-old baby was left in a basket on the doorstep of a neighbor of ex-Marshall Gerald Kehoe, of Station Avenue. The baby was taken by Mr. Kehoe the next morning to the St. Joseph Foundling Asylum. Kehoe said this was the third time this had happened to him.

  • 1894
    In one day, the Cincinnati, Lebanon and Northern Railroad tracks are converted from narrow gauge to standard gauge. This allows freight traffic, as well as passenger service. With the electric street car in operation for the last three years, the railroad may have experienced a decline in passenger ridership, forcing the company to look at freight as an income source.

  • 1894 The Norwood Water Works is completed as six artesian wells and a pumping station are operational. Nine more wells are eventually drilled as two old ones are capped. They supply Norwood with water for sixty-five years. Any home built before this date (or, if the builder was forward thinking, late 1892) has to have water pipes installed after the house was constructed.

  • 1894 (March)
    The Norwood Enterprise newspaper begins publication.

  • 1894 (March 6)
    The West Norwood Volunteer firehouse burned. It was soon replaced with a brick structure at the same location—1818 Mills Avenue. The building is still being used today—as a tavern.

  • 1894 (March 24)
    The Norwood Wheelmen, a bicycle club is organized.

  • 1894 (April) The book "Norwood, Her Homes and Her People" by Ren Mulford, Jr. and Wertner G. Betty is published. It is created as a souvenir for the celebration of the completion of the Norwood Water Works System.

  • 1895 (April 23)
    The Washburn circus is scheduled to play at an unknown site in Norwood. This may be the first circus to perform in Norwood..

  • 1895 (July 26)
    Former Norwood Mayor Dr. John Weyer and Norwood Presbyterian Church pastor, Rev. J. J. Hopkins, swore out warrants, that resulted in the arrest this day of 92 men at the nearby Oakley Race Track. Every bookie and their employees were taken into custody for "receiving bets on the speed of a horse," which was against Ohio law.

  • 1895 (October 21)
    The Mason's Norwood Lodge No. 576, holds its first meeting in the Norwood Lodge Hall in the Knights of Pythias Building, at the corner of Montgomery Road and Waverly Avenue. Its first meeting, after being granted the right to organize by the Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Ohio, was at the Hall of Pleasant Ridge Lodge No. 282, on July 11, 1895.

  • 1895
    George Bullock, son of prominent Cincinnati businessman Anthony D. Bullock, purchases the Card Electric Motor & Dynamo Company. He renames it the Bullock Electric Manufacturing Company in 1897 and moves it to Norwood in 1898, as Norwood's first industrial plant.

  • 1895 (November 18)
    The Village accepts more adjacent territory for its fourth annexation with Ordinance No. 808. The land is south of Hudson Avenue, north of the C. P. & V. R. R. tracks, east of Regent Avenue and west of Elsmere Avenue.

  • 1896
    Norwood's population is estimate to be around 7,000.

  • 1896
    Construction begins on a new 12-room elementary school and 8-room high school on Allison Avenue.

  • 1896 (July 12)
    Longtime Sharpsburg resident and landowner Joseph G. Langdon dies.

  • 1896
    The Ivanhoe Methodist Episcopal Church changes its name to Grace Methodist Church.

  • 1896 (December 2) Late this afternoon, John M. Woolley, 18 year old East Norwood boy, is fatally wounded by an accidental discharge of an old double-barreled shotgun by one of his hunting partners, Ralph Hallam, 17, who lived at Maple and Section Avenues, Norwood. Also, in the hunting party are Louis Cordes and Russell Bachelor, both of the area. Bachelor's grandfather, A. O. Russell, the head of the U.S. Printing Company, owns the farm in Norwood Heights (Indian Mound area) where the accident occurs.

  • 1897 (February)
    Norwood's first high school is opened on Allison Street. This is the first time that Norwood has offered a full high school curriculum.

  • 1897 (March 3)
    Mrs. Mary Lotz, 46, of Oakley, is instantly killed by a west-bound B. & O. S. W. train at East Norwood this morning. She was driving into the city in a one-horse carriage when she was hit while attempting to cross the tracks. The train tossed her into the air and she landed along the tracks about 20 feet from the station. Her horse was killed also. The buggy was "reduced to kindling wood." Her husband is a wealthy dairyman of Oakley. Undertaker Behymer of Norwood took charge of the body. Coroner Haerr was notified and held an inquest the next day.

  • 1897 (October 25)
    The Cincinnati Gas Light & Coke Company receives a franchise to supply gas to Norwood. By the end of the 19th century, the company has 353 gas customers in Norwood. The company is allowed to put pipes under the somewhat new Norwood streets, but has to repair them to the original condition. This indicates that any house built before this date probably has to have the gas lines installed in the building after it is constructed.

  • 1897
    The Norwood Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) is started.

  • 1898
    The Bullock Electric Manufacturing Company moves into a new plant on Forest Avenue in "East Norwood" as Norwood's first (modern) industry (excluding the McFarlan Lumber Company on Montgomery Pike and the Cincinnati Brick Company on Duck Creek). The officers are George Bullock, President and Treasurer; J. S. Neave, Vice-president; J. W. Bullock, Secretary, and William Cooper, Superintendent. George Bullock lives on Vernon Place, Cincinnati. By 1902, this company will become part of Allis-Chalmers, and eventually a part of the German company, Siemens.

  • 1898 (April 28)
    The Hummel Circus plays at an unknown location in Norwood.

  • 1898
    The fifth annexation is accepted by Norwood. This land is basically west of Montgomery Road and Ivanhoe Avenue, south of Wayland Avenue, north of the C., P. & V. R. R tracks, and at the current corporation line on the west.

  • 1898
    The road surface of Montgomery Road is leveled and macadamized. The largest cut was at Williams Avenue. Before that, traveling on the road was said to be like a toboggan slide, up one hill and down another. The decline was greatest coming into Norwood from Evanston.

  • 1898 (December 13)
    The U. S. Supreme Court rules that the method that Norwood used to increase the tax on Ellen R. Baker's property, adjacent to a newly constructed street (Hopkins Avenue extension) was unconstitutional. The village used imminent domain to acquire part of the Baker land for the street. It appeared to the court that the village was trying to recoup the price it paid Mrs. Baker for her land by increasing her taxes.

  • 1899 (January 6)
    The West Norwood Fire Co. selected its officers: President, Lewis H. Gebhart; Vice President, John W. Hall; Secretary, Joseph Lammers; Treasurer, August Wieman; Custodian of Hall, F. H. Runnebaum.

  • 1899 (August 21)
    The Village of Norwood passes Ordinance No. 989, for its fifth annexation.

  • 1899 (December)
    Colonel Philander Parmele Lane, one of the developers of Norwood Heights (from which Norwood got its name), dies.

  • 1899
    Dr. Frank O. Perry receives his medical license and starts his practice in Norwood. He is Norwood's first health officer from 1910 to 1920. He is the son of William H. Perry, who is elected, in 1903, as one of the first councilmen for the City of Norwood.

  • 1899
    It is written that the first Norwood library service began in J. L. Vine's drug store at Montgomery Road and Maple Avenue. Eight years later the Norwood Library is built at Montgomery Road and Weyer Avenue.

    A fee-based library was housed in Norwood Town Hall over a decade before the Vine library. There were private club libraries in Norwood earlier, also. Perhaps the drug store's library is the first free public library.