Historical Dates for Norwood, Ohio.

  • 1900?
    At the turn of the century, The McFarlan Lumber Company, the first lumber outlet in Norwood, changes its name to The Dexter Lumber Company. T. J. McFarlan, the original creator was still the President and General Manager.

  • 1900
    The 1900 Federal Census determines that Norwood's population was 6,480 — enough to become a city.

  • 1900
    Henry Floto locates his department store in Norwood at 4269 Main Avenue.

  • 1900 (April 8)
    Anthony Octavius Russell, head of The U. S. Printing Company and its spin-off — The U. S. Playing Card Company, dies at his home on Mound Avenue, Norwood.

  • 1900
    The Globe Company (a Cincinnati office files company) acquires the Wernicke Company (Minneapolis), creating the Globe-Wernicke Company. A 200,000 sq. ft. building is constructed on a 14-acre site on Carthage Avenue in Norwood for the manufacture of wooden bookcases.

  • 1901 (May 6-7)
    Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show & Congress of Rough Riders perform on a 15-acre "Durrell Tract" site at Montgomery Road & Ivanhoe Avenues. At the same time, an annoucement is made that the land was bought by L. Schreiber & Sons Company for a new factory.

  • 1901 (May 31)
    James W. Bullock of Williamtown, Massachusettes, sold land north of Park Avenue and West of Forest Avenue (across from what is now the Siemens plant, originally Bullock Electric Mfg. Co.) to the United States Lithograph Company.

  • 1901 (June 4)
    The John Robinson Circus performs at the Durrell Tract lot used the previous month by Buffalo Bill.

  • 1901
    The United States Playing Card Company moves to its new facilities on Beech Avenue in Norwood.

  • 1901 (September 8)
    To celebrate the laying of the cornerstone of the new St. Elizabeth Church at Carter and Mills Avenues, a large parade is sponsored. The path of the parade travels from the Mills property at Hopkins and Main to Cameron, Floral, Madison, Lafayette, Smith, Sherman, Main, Mills, Franklin, Sherman, Carter Avenues, to the new church site at Mills and Carter.

  • 1902 (July)
    The First National Bank of Norwood opens in Norwood.

  • 1902
    The Bullock Electric Manufacturing Company, Norwood's first industrial plant becomes part of the Allis-Chalmers Company. The firm continues operating as Bullock Electric until 1928. (Some sources give 1904 as the date.) Before the takeover, a joint venture of Bullock and Allis-Chalmers produced large engine-generator sets with Bullock supplying the generators and A-C the engines. By the 1970's, it gradually is taken over by the German company, Siemens.

  • 1902 (March)
    American Laundry Machinery Company buys five acres at Ross and Section Avenues, becoming one of many companies moving to the growing Norwood. The company traces its roots back to the Cincinnati washer manufacturing business of A. M. Dolph and J. M. Slack. Organized in 1884 as the A. M. Dolph Company, the firm changes its name to The American Laundry Machinery Company in 1894. After its plant in Cincinnati burned, the Norwood site is selected for a new factory.

  • 1902 (April 30)
    The John Robinson Circus returns to Norwood, probably at the Durrell lot at Montgomery Road & Ivanhoe Avenue.

  • 1902
    Besides the American Laundry Machinery Company, the L. Schreiber & Sons, Kemper-Thomas (later, Osborne-Kemper-Thomas) and Standard Mills (later Norwood Sash & Door Manufacturing Co.) companies locate to Norwood.

  • 1902
    By a vote of 496 to 441, the citizens of Norwood reject the first of several annexation attempts by Cincinnati.

  • 1902
    By a margin of 55 votes (the same difference as the Cincinnati annexation vote!), Norwood voters decide to incorporate as a city. The village is eligible because the Federal Census determines that Norwood's population is 6,480, enough to become a city.

    The Ohio Supreme Court rules that the existing Ohio State laws providing for the classification of cities and villages was unconstitutional. Therefore, Norwood was not officially a city, since the vote is now null.

    The following year, according to a new state law, all municipalities with a population of 5,000 or more are automatically classed as cities. So, Norwood becomes a city, again.

  • 1903 (April)
    Election for the Norwood officials takes place. The next month, when they are installed, they are the City of Norwood's first officials.

  • 1903 (April 27-28)
    The John Robinson Circus returns to Norwood for a third time, this time for a two-day, four-show visit. The Durrell lot is probably not available because of the Schreiber factory construction, so the Langdon lot at Smith Road, south of the B.&O. R.R. tracks is used. This land would serve the many circuses and other outdoor entertainments until the end of 1922, when General Motors bought the property.

  • 1903 (May 7)
    The newly elected Norwood officials are installed at city hall. This is the same frame building used as the village hall. This date is the last day the village officials met and the first day the city officials took over.

  • 1903 (May 11?)
    The new St. Elizabeth Roman Catholic Church building is dedicated. The start of the celebration is a parade beginning from Hopkins and Main, and traveling over the principal streets of Norwood.

  • 1903 (August 3)
    The (Cincinnati) Commerical Tribune reported that "The congregation of the Presbyterian Church, of Norwood held a reception in the honor of Valentine C. Tidball and his wife, who celebrated their Golden wedding Anniversary at the residence of their son, John W. Tidball at his home on Lawn Avenue."
    In 1888, Mr. Tidball was one of the agents of Norwood's incorporation and a judge for its first municipal election.

  • 1903 (October 5-6)
    Barnum & Bailey Circus finally comes to Norwood to see why Robinson keeps returning here. They would visit Norwood six times from 1903 to 1917, performing 8 days for a total of 16 shows.

  • 1904
    More buildings are added to the Carthage Avenue facility of Globe-Wernicke for desk, cabinet and metal works.

  • 1904 (April 25-26)
    The John Robinson Circus returns to Norwood for a fourth time— again for a two-day, four-show visit. The Langdon lot at Smith Road contimues to be the circus grounds for Norwood.

  • 1905 (early)
    Mayor Charles H. Jones appoints a board to oversee the construction of Norwood's Library, after receiving a grant from Dale Carnegie. After its completion, the library is transferred to the Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County on the provisions that it be equipped and maintained according to the Carnegie grant terms.

  • 1905 (May 1)
    The Ringling Bros. Circus comes to Cincinnati for the first time and they did it in Norwood. Agreements are made with the Cincinnati Traction Company to provide adequate street cars to the circus grounds. However, the evening show return trips was no so good.

  • 1905 (May 29-30)
    Just a few weeks after the Ringling Bros., the Hagenbeck circus sets up for a two-day performance. Because of the after-show transporation problems for visitors to Ringling Bros., evening performances, the Hagenbeck made plans with the street car company so that this would not happen for their run.

  • 1905 (July 1)
    Norwood hires its first paid fireman. The initial paid company had five members. As the population is growing, the city needs full-time professional firemen, instead of the volunteers. Philip Volker is the first Chief, for 30 days, followed by Thomas Wiggeringloh, and, on October 30, Joseph Geller. Geller is appointed regular Chief on December 5th, after he passes the civil service exam.

  • 1905 (July 1)
    The Norwood Police Department is organized. John L. Grismer is acting Chief until George Crowthers is appointed. (Note: An unpublished "Historical Sketch of Norwood" has the police department organized in 1903.)

  • 1905
    The Strobridge Lithography Company of Cincinnati purchases the Henderson Lithographing Company of Norwood. The location is at today's Surrey Square on Montgomery Road.

  • 1905
    The Weir Frog Company, established in Cincinnati in 1882, moves to 5038 Beech Street at Highland Avenue in Norwood. The firm is later known by the names Weir-Kilby and Taylor-Wharton.

  • 1905
    The Globe-Wernicke Company adds new buildings to the Norwood plant for the manufacturing of steel cabinets.

  • 1906 The Norwood Lutheran Church (Evangelical Lutheran Church of Our Savior) is started.

  • 1906 (April 7)
    Hagenbeck Circus beats Ringling Bros. to Norwood this year.

  • 1906 (April 21)
    The Cincinnati & Columbus interuban line, from Norwood to Hillsboro, is started. A station is at Harris and Forest Avenues. Despite the name, the line never goes to Cincinnati or Columbus.

  • 1906 (May 8-9)
    The Ringling Bros. Circus returns to Norwood.

  • 1906 (June 11-23)
    The long-lasting theatrical show "The Last Days of Pompeii" visits the Langdon lot. This is the first and only time it plays in Norwood. The eleborate pyrotecnic production takes a week to build and construct on the "circus grounds" for the two week stay of nightly performances.

  • 1906 (October 1)
    The city purchases property allowing for the future opening of Slane Avenue to Floral Avenue. The following January, another ordinance was passed in order to extend Slane Avenue 427 feet west to Floral Avenue. A map at about that time shows a log cabin (possibly the one mentioned in newspapers and books as the oldest building in Norwood) and other small structures at this location blocking the extension of Slane to Floral.

  • 1906 (October)
    St. Peter and St. Paul Parish in North Norwood is organized.

  • 1906 (November 3)
    St. Matthew's Church, South Norwood, is dedicated.

  • 1906 (November)
    The Knights of Columbus hold their first Norwood meeting.

  • 1907 (January)
    The Ohio Fuel Supply Company introduces natural gas in Norwood. In May, 1907, the Norwood gas distribution system and franchise is sold to The Union Gas & Electric Company (The Cincinnati Gas & Electric Company - now Duke Power).

  • 1907 (May 6-7)
    After four years, Barnum & Bailey Circus returns to Norwood.

  • 1907 (July 22)
    The Norwood Public Library opens to the public. It is built on land donated by Edward Mills. A grant of $23,000 from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation provides the initial funds to start building in 1905. It is the second Carnegie Library in the Cincinnati area.

    When it was completed, a Norwood Ordinance transfers the property to the Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County, thereby making it a branch library of that organization. The first librarian (for the first three years) is Miss Lillian Davis, daughter of Judge David Davis, a former mayor of Norwood.

  • 1907 (July 21)
    SS. Peter and Paul Church is dedicated.

  • 1907 (August 24)
    A new 400 feet deep well is opened at the Norwood Water Works Park (very close to the street at Harris Avenue).

  • 1907 (Sunday, September 1)
    Buffalo Bill's Congress of Rough Riders of the World and Wild West arrived in a train of 63 cars in Norwood from Hamilton, Ohio, at 7:00 p.m. Seven hundred and fifty people and five hundred and fifty horses were in the show.

  • 1907 (Monday, September 2) On this Labor Day, Colonel William F Cody, a.k.a."Buffalo Bill," presented his Wild West show to Norwood, Ohio. For the first time in 10 years, there were three performances — morning at 10:30 a.m., afternoon at 2:00 p.m. and a night show at 8:00 p.m. The doors opened one hour prior to the start of each performance. The advertisements just said the shows would be at the "Norwood Show Grounds," but, based on accounts of other circus performances, the location was the land that would become the site of the General Motors plants and now Central Station.

  • 1907
    The First National Bank of Norwood's (later merged with The First National Bank of Cincinnati) new building is completed. It is located at the northeast corner of Washington Avenue and Montgomery Road.

    This site is currently located at the northeast corner of Surrey Square, just south of Sherman Avenue; Washington Avenue no longer connects with Montgomery Road.

  • 1907
    The Norwood National Bank is founded. The Hyde Park Savings Bank is created at this time, also. They merge in 1929.

  • 1907
    Norwood Concrete Block (Crew Builders Supply Co.) locates in Norwood. The location is probably at today's Surrey Square.

  • 1908
    U. S. Printing Company moves to Norwood at a new facility on Beech Avenue.

  • 1908 (May 7)
    The Ringling Bros. is the only circus to perform in Norwood this year.

  • 1908
    The Metropolitan, the first ice cream parlor of brothers Thomas and Nicholas Aglamesis, opens in Norwood. They churned the ice cream by hand, which was delivered by a horse-drawn wagon to Norwood homes. Soon they made their own candy for sale. Five years later, they added a second store in the adjacent neighborhood of Oakley. During the Depression, they sold The Metropolitan, and renamed the Oakley store, Aglamesis Brothers, the name it still has today.

  • 1909 (ca. April or May)
    At the request of Norwood officials, Kennedy Heights Mayor Pat McHugh discusses the possiblity of annexation of Kennedy Heights to Norwood. However, he said that he is open to annexation by Cincinnati. In April, a meeting to combine Pleasant Ridge, Silverton and Kennedy Heights fails to create an agreement. Later, after Pleasant Ridge is annexed by Cincinnati, pressure is increased upon Kennedy Heights to approve annexation, which is done in 1912, with the formal annexation on July 24, 1914.

  • 1909 (May 18)
    Barnum & Bailey is the only circus to perform in Norwood this year.

  • 1909 (December 31)
    At a joint meeting of the Board of Public Service and Board of Control, a contract for the improvement of Burwood Avenue is awarded to John Snyder, and a contract for the improvement of Hudson Avenue to James McJoynt.