& KAHLE'S SUBDIVISIONS (1891 & 1894)
There were two subdivision: 57-lot Albers & Kahles Addition To
Norwood (1891) at Lawrence Avenue and 29-lot Albers & Kahles
2nd Subdivision of South Norwood (1894) at Judge Street.
E. ARNOLD'S SUBDIVISION (1915)
North of Highland Avenue and East of Marion Street, this subdivision
included part of Turrill Avenue. Interestingly, although there were 37
lots indicated on the plat map, the lot numbers only ranged from 20 to 56.
Where were lots 1-19?
PLACE SUBDIVISION (1928)
This 55-lot subdivision included land on both sides of Avilla Place. Duck
Creek Road ran along the south and east sides of this property.
W. & W. C. BAKER'S ADDITION TO SHARPSBURG (1868)
This property of only 7 lots was platted around 1868 and was located just
north of the M&C tracks and just west of Montgomery Pike/Carthage
Avenue, near the northwestern corner of Section 34 of Columbia Township.
Previously the land was probably that part of Lydia A. Drake's north of
the tracks. Today the Norwood Lateral occupies it, the site being west of
the Montgomery Road bridge and south of Sanker Boulevard.
SUBDIVISIONS OF IVANHOE (1886 & 1887)
There are three subdivisions: Baker's 1st Subdivision of Ivanhoe
(49 lots) at Courtland, Carter, Weyer and Ivanhoe, Baker's 2nd
Subdivision of Ivanhoe (25 lots) at Courtland, Bell and Weyer, and Baker's
3rd Subdivision of Ivanhoe (47 lots) at Courtland. Lowry, Weyer and
Dudley. The 1st subdivision is to the east of the 2nd, which is east of
PLACE SUBDIVISION (1891)
This property was originally platted as Henry Thomson's Subdivision in
1847 (recorded in 1851). It's proximity to two railroads, the Norwood
streetcar line, two main roads (Montgomery and Smith Roads), the school
house and the Norwood Town Hall made this an important site.
CATHERINE BELL'S SUBDIVISION OF WEST PART OF LOT 4 OF PARVIN, BOLLES &
LANE'S SUBDIVISION (a.k.a. Norwood Heights) (1912)
Four lots, 100 feet, or so, from the intersection of Indian Mound Avenue
and Buxton Avenue, on the south side of Indian Mound Avenue
& HOPKINS' (1ST) SUBDIVISION OF SOUTH NORWOOD(1884)
There were 112 lots on this subdivision. Lots were numbered 1 through 112,
with a lot 31-1/2 recorded in the indexes; the plat map had two lot 32s.
This was the first of three subdivisions that would become know as the
"Presidential Neighborhood" because five of these streets were
named after the first five United States Presidents.
IVANHOE ADDITION [7/28] June-July 1886
a.k.a. J. Burgoyne, Jr. Admr.
This subdivision was bordered on the north by Williams Avenue, on the
west by Montgomery Road, on the south by L. Cordes' of L. C. Hopkins
Subdivision (on the north side of Wayland Avenue) and on the east by
that part of H. Q. Cleneay's Sunnyside Subdivision on the west side of
BURGOYNE, JR. NORWOOD HEIGHTS [8V2/58] July 1889 (May be just to
north of Norwood)
- CARTHAGE-VARLEMAN SUBDIVISION
SUNNYSIDE SUBDIVISION [9/10] October 1889 and Streets
Dedication [6/150] May 1885
Sunnyside is bordered by Montgomery Road on the west, Williams Avenue
on the north, Elsmere Subdivision (at Regent Avenue) on the east, and
the Cincinnati & Eastern Railroad (later named the Ohio and
Northwestern Railway) on the south. The northern part of this
subdivision was actually bounded by L. Cordes' (Addition) of L. C.
Hopkins Subdivision and Burgoyne's Ivanhoe Addition. It appears that
Mr. Cleneay could not decide in which neighborhood his subdivision was
located. The street dedication plat was partially titled "East
Walnut Hills" and the subdivision plat was in "North Walnut
CORDES' ADDITION OF L. C. HOPKINS' SUBDIVISION [10/58] March 1891
This Ivanhoe subivision was bounded on the west by Montgomery Road, on
the north by Burgoynes' Ivanhoe Addition, and on the east and south by
H. Q. Cleneay's Sunnyside Subdivision. The lots were situated on both
sides of Wayland Avenue, between Montgomery Road and almost to Regent
SUBDIVISION [18/6] eastern part is in Norwood - Oct-Nov 1908
- DALEWOOD SUBDIVISION of THE DALE TRACT [27/6]
(wrong plat map reference? see I.B.60/152)
DURRELL 1ST SUBDIVISION OF IVANHOE [5/307] July 1882
This subdivision was located on the west side of Montgomery Pike,
south of Williams Avenue, east of Huston Avenue and north of Mentor
Avenue. The C.L.&N. tracks went through this land, crossing
Mentor, Ivanhoe and Williams Avenues. The Ivanhoe Depot was located on
the southeast corner of Williams and Ivanhoe Avenues, on the
northwestern side of the tracks (currently the back lot of the United
Dairy Farmers' plant).
DURRELL 2ND SUBDIVISION OF IVANHOE [6/35]
ELSMERE - formerly the Cavagna Farm, located between Duck Creek
and Williams Avenue (previously named Locust Ave.); the northern part of
this subdivision (to the northern line of Hudson Avenue) was annexed to
the Village of Norwood soon after the property was purchased; the rest
of the subdivision was annexed later.
1889 advertisements for Elsmere Subdivision]
- ELSMERE [8V2/35]
- ELSMERE & DICKS SUBDIVISION
HALLOWELL (several spellings indicate these may be the same
HALLOWELL [21/55] (Not in
Norwood; on north side of Cypress)
- HOLLOWELL'S SUBDIVISION
- J. HALLEWELL'S SUBDIVISION (Deed Book 145/Page 356) (incorrect
plat map reference? - this page is missing from on-line record)
This subdivision may be in Pleasant Ridge. However, LAURA LANE
SUBDIVISION (below) consists of parts of lots 29 & 30 of
C. HEDGER SUBDIVISION [4/206] Nov. 1876; also in [14/131]
Established in 1876 (1873?), this subdivision may have part of the
area named "Norwood" proper or "old Norwood,"
before the Village was incorporated in 1888.
The title of this subdivision on the county plat book was
"Addition to Norwood by Emiline Hedger and Others." The
document was received and recorded on November 8, 1876. The developers
were Geo. Hafer, William N. Hobart, E. F. Bradford, Esq., and W. B.
This subdivision appears to have had 89 lots and was located between
Section Avenue, on the west, and almost to Montgomery Road, on the
east. The lots on the south side of Elm Avenue defined the southern
extent; the lots on the north side of Maple Avenue marked the northern
limit. Elm and Maple, which were located between Section Avenue and
Montgomery Road were entirely within the subdivision (except for the
properties adjacent to Montgomery Road). Station Avenue, which at the
time was located only between Elm Avenue and a road parallel to the
railroad tracks of the M. & C. R. R. leading from Montgomery Road
to the train depot, was within the subdivision's boundaries (except
from the northern edge of the Maple Avenue properties to the tracks).
OWNER'S SUBDIVISION, REG. LAND (CERT. 183) [1/3] March-June 1918
(Only part of this subdivision is in Norwood)
This subdivision was platted in March 1918 by The Algona Realty
Company with the streets given for public use. The registration was
approved by the Common Pleas Court of Hamilton County on June 22,
1918, as Case No. 85. It is recorded by the Hamilton County Recorder
in Registered Land Plat Book 1, Page 3. It consists of 52 lots at
Bosworth Place and Lysle Lane. The only part of this property in
Norwood is Lot 52 and parts of Lots 51, 1 and 4-7, all adjacent to
that part of Bosworth Place directly off Montgomery Road. There is a
large lot in the middle of this property that appears to be not part
of this subdivision. It may be the property of the Latter Day Saints.
The subdivision was listed in a 1977 compilation of
subdivisions. The Norwood Historical Society has a book of plats
(Cabinet A, Drawer 4; Hamilton County Auditor's Plat Books, City of
Norwood, Book No. 523). On page 4 (Norwood Heights area) is a
reference to Plat Book 1, Page 3 (this is the registered land plat
book number 1, not the regular plat book number 1).
- HUSSEY & HACKETT SUBDIVISION
Highland Avenue @ Orchard Street
G. LANGDON SUBDIVISION [3/32]May 1868
This property was platted around 1868 and was located just north of
the M&C tracks, just east of Montgomery Pike, south of Highland
Avenue, and a short distance west of the later Wesley Avenue, in the
northern part of Section 34 of Columbia Township. The land was
previously owned by W. Holt. The southern half of the land is now part
of the Norwood Lateral and the northern portion is most of that land
between Highland, Wesley and Norwood Avenues and Montgomery Road. The
first train station and post office were located here before the name
Sharpsburg was replaced by Norwood.
BY THE LANGDON REALTY CO. [23/63] March 1917
This appears to be just a replatting of most of the land of the
original 1868 Langdon Addition to Sharpsburg Subdivision, north of the
B. & O. R.R. tracks, but, with the inclusion of the old ballpark
land, south of the tracks and later used by General Motors.
The Norwood Historical Society has a formal drawing approved by
Norwood City Engineer on February 17, 1917; approved by Norwood City
Council by ordinance on March 5, 1917; and recorded in Plat Book 23 on
March 15, 1917.
Northern part of the 1917 map, showing the
original 1868 Langdon Addition to Sharpsburg Subdivision
Other information on the drawing were:
- H. E. Langdon was the President of this realty company; Tract
"A" is the undivided 15.08 acres south of the B. &
O. R.R., east of Smith Road, and the numbered lots appear to be
part of the original 1868 Langdon Addition to Sharpsburg,
excluding the lots on Montgomery Road and north of Norwood Avenue
(except lot 16) and some property on Harris Avenue
- The lots are somewhat different than the original subdivision,
for the following reasons: the angled Cross Street was replaced by
an extension of the east-west Norwood Avenue; the angled Langdon
Avenue was replaced with a north-south Langdon Avenue; the angled
western section of Highland Avenue, after the bend at Langdon
Avenue, was replaced with an east-west part, and Malcom Avenue was
added to connect West Alley with Langdon Avenue.
- The only lots remaining the same were those along Montgomery
Road —numbers 4-12— although a small corner of 4 was cut for
Norwood Avenue and a small piece of 3, along Montgomery Road, was
saved and renamed 16, and the top part of 12 was modified when
Highland was changed.
- At the same time of this "plat of subdivision," the
company also agreed to "dedicate the streets, avenues and
alleys adjacent to said tract and lots in accordance with said
plat, and consent to the vacating of any public right of way
thorough or adjacent to said tracts or lots and not designated on
J. LODDER SUBDIVISION [26/9] December 1922
This subdivision was north of Edmondson Road and west of Edwards Road.
(Note: The south end of Smith Road was at Edmondson Road and Garland
Avenue.) It included lots on both sides of Atlantic and Garland
Avenues. North of this subdivision was the Dacey Subdivision. Today,
the Lodder Subdivision has been demolished to make way for the planned
Rookwood Exchange development.
E. LUGINBUHL SUBDIVISION [27/16] May 1924
This subdivision was created from the following lots of Leslie &
Dicks Subdivision: Lots 18-26 and parts of Lots 27 & 28. The
location was on the north side of Melrose Avenue, between Linden
Avenue and Beech Street.
MCCULLOUGH'S SUBDIVISION [20/27] Nov-Dec 1911
McCullough's Subdivision appears to be made up of the lots between
Indian Mound Avenue and the drive running west from the Mound, north
of the water towers and tennis courts. Originally this was the
northern part of the Parvin, Bolles and Lane Subdivision's Lot 5.
SUBDIVISION [13/102] September 1895
Located on north side of Highland Avenue, from Orchard Avenue west, to
short of Beech Avenue. The Cincinnati, Lebanon & Northern Railroad
was the northwestern boundary. Albert and Orchard Avenues ran north
from Highland and Mayer Avenue ran parallel to Highland from the
railroad tracks, east across Mayer, ending at Orchard. There were 52
lots of various dimensions. The Village condemned and vacated all the
property except Orchard Avenue and Lots 1, 2 and 3 and the west corner
of Orchard and Highland by Common Pleas Court Case No. 134872.
MILLS 1ST [17/22] April-May 1907 (Courtland avenue near Montgomery
MILLS 2ND [17/75] April 1908 (Courtland & Montgomery Road)
MILLS 3RD [20/8] May-June 1910 (North side of Weyer, near
MILLS 4TH [19/72] November 1911 (nw corner Weyer & Montgomery
and south side of Weyer from Millcreek/Columbia Townships boundary
line to Norwood Library)
MILLS 5TH [26/45] December 1922, April-July 1923 (South side
Weyer, both sides Wanda, north side Hopkins, from Millcreek/Columbia
Township boundary line to Montgomery Road, and and west side of
Montgomery Road between Weyer and Hopkins)
MILLS OF LOT A of Leslie & Dicks Subdivision[18/18]
February-March 1909 (Forest at ne corner of Forest & Leslie)
MILLS OF LOTS 1 TO 4 OF LESLIE & DICK's SUBDIVISION [26/49]
April 1916; May-July 1923 (Eastern part of land between Melrose, Beech
MILLS OF LOTS 134 TO 137, 141 & 142 of Leslie & Dicks
Subdivision [26/43] April 1916; June 1923 (East side of Beech,
between Leslie and Ida)
- EDWARD MILLS OF LOTS 16 & 17 [25/8] (Incorrect plat book/page
MILLS OF LOTS 75 TO 79 of Leslie & Dicks Subdivision [25/8]
June 1920 (12 lots at ne corner of Beech & Marsh)
MILLS OF LOTS 8-12 of Leslie & Dicks Subdivision [25/8] May
1916; April-May 1920 (East side of Smith Road, between Melrose &
MITCHELL'S SUBDIVISION [12/35] December 1892-January 1893 (Between
Carthage & Montgomery)
The part of the triangular block between Montgomery Road, Carthage
Avenue and Ross Avenue from a point across from the southern curb of
Highland Avenue, south to the intersection of Montgomery Road and
Carthage Avenue. It included the Arnold Building.
DRIVE SUBDIVISION [62/47] and [62/48]
Along Northwoods Lane and MoundcrestSouth of Cypress Avenue. East of
Charles F. Neads Subdivision to the Corporation line, along that
northernly part of Moundview Drive north of Indian Mound Avenue.
- NORWOOD HEIGHTS (PROPOSED/NOT RECORDED) <00/00>
(see PARVIN, BOLLES & LANE)
Although the County's web site gives no plat listing for a subdivision
with this name, an index of deeds for Section 35 of Columbia Township
places the Parvin, Bolles & Lane subdivision at W. B. Ferguson's
Farm in Plat
Book 3, page 144 (June 1869-February 1870). Today, most of what is
commonly called "Indian Mound" was originally the Norwood
Heights Subdivision. Much later, other subdivisions using the name
"Norwood Heights" were platted (see following).
HEIGHTS BY L. BREVER [9/64] April 1890
Sixteen lots at corner of Montgomery Pike and Forest Place (Section
35, F.R. 2,, T. 4)
HEIGHTS COMPANY OF THALE TRACT BY FRANK LESOURD [22/64] December
- NORWOOD HEIGHTS COMPANY SUBDIVISION
Located in East Norwood, between Montgomery Pike, the junction of the
railroads, Harris Avenue to the south, and Highland Avenue to the north.
HIGHLAND SYNDICATE [7/78] February 1887
Bounded by Harris on the south, Marion on the west and Highland on the
north. Lots also were on the west side of Forest Avenue, forming the
HIGHLAND SYNDICATE 2ND SUBDIVISION [8V1/3] May-June 1888
Between Harris (s), Wesley (w)Marion (e) & Highland (n). Also lots
on west side of Wesley.
SUBDIVISION OF NORWOOD PARK [9/51] June-July 1889
Boundaries: west, Lafayette Avenue; south, Smith Road; east, Forest
Avenue; Also, included lots on north side of Park Avenue, from Smith
to Forest, and a triangular section at the intersection of Smith and
Ridgewood Avenue (Robertson Avenue).
SUBDIVISIONS OF NORWOOD PARK [12/45] March 1893
Boundaries: west, Forest Avenue; south, Ridgewood Avenue (Robertson);
east, Beech Street; north, Park Avenue. Also, the are lots on north
sid of Park and the south side of Ridgewood, between Linden and Beech.
PLACE [17/21] March-April, 1907; (Suburban Real Estate Company)
Streets: Section, Warren, Rolsten, Hunter, Globe, Carthage, Wayne,
Clermont and Worth.
Although this was not actually a subdivision plat, it is included
since it is the plat map for the Village of Norwood. It was drawn from
a combining of the plat maps of the subdivisions within Section 34 of
Columbia Township. Every subdivision created before this was just a
part of Columbia or Millcreek Townships — there was no Village of
Norwood, and Sharpsburg was never incorporated. At this time, there
may have been over 40 subdivisions in what would eventually become the
City of Norwood — not all of which were included in the initial
incorporation. After this time, some newly created subdivisons may not
have been part of Norwood, either, until one of the annexations. For
example, part of Elsmere Subdivision was made part of Norwood in the
village's first annexation in 1889. The remainder of Elsmere was
absorbed by the second annexation in 1891.
PARVIN, BOLLES & LANE
BOLLES & LANE [3/144] and [3/145]
(original Norwood Heights) (June 1869-February 1870)
This property was previously the W. B. Ferguson farm in the
southeastern corner of Section 35 of Columbia Township. The property
was acquired by Parvin, Bolles and Lane and platted in 1869. Being
named "Norwood Heights," it was the first subdivision to use
the name "Norwood."
The Hedger Subdivision, which was platted in 1876, may have taken the
name "Norwood," since 1887-88 newspaper references to the
community at or around that subdivision was "old Norwood."
In 1881, the L. C. Hopkins platted the first subdivision in East
Norwood, and around 1885, Bofinger & Hopkins started work on South
Norwood. A community, between "old Norwood" and Ivanhoe,
called West Norwood was also started early. A village of this name
—Norwood— was incorporated in 1888, encompassing all of Section 34
(the section of Columbia Township south of Norwood Heights). Soon
after, Norwood Heights was annexed to the Village of Norwood.
HEIRS, REDIVISION OF THE PARVIN, BOLLES AND LANE SUBDIVISION (except
Lots 6-12 and part of 11) [23/6] & [23/7]
May-August 1891 (Per Common Pleas Court Case No. 89028, George S.
Parvin vs. P. P. Lane, et al.)
- SUBDIVISION OF PARVIN, BOLLES & LANE'S LOT 17
[26/8] This is the wrong plat book reference
SUBDIVISION [22/16] February 1915
East side of Sherman Avenue, from Norfolk & Western R.R. tracks
west to approximately 300 feet south of Baker Avenue. Included were
Baker Avenue, Cliff Alley and a "proposed street." Except
for Lot 1 at the corner of Sherman & the tracks, all property on
Sherman Avenue appear to be divided into lots as part of another
SUBDIVISION, REDIVISION OF LOT 45 AND PART OF LOT 46 [49/63]
S. ROOSA SUBDIVISION [3/86] March-May 1869
There was a Jas. S. Roosa Subdivision on the triangular block between
Montgomery Road, Carthage Avenue and Ross Avenue. It included the land
from Ross Avenue, south to a point across from Highland Avenue.
Directly to the south, on the "tip" of the triangle, was the
James Mitchell Subdivision.
- SLANE'S SUBDIVISION OF WAVERLY PLACE AT NORWOOD STATION [4/16]
May 1872-June 1875
23 lots east of Montgomery Road and between Maple (Slane) and Locust
(Maple); Williams Street was a short street connecting Maple and
Locust, with lots 20-23 east of Williams and the rest to the west.
2ND SUBDIVISION [7/141] April 1888
B. SLANE'S SUBDIVISION [14/60] May 1899
- SLANE'S SOUTH NORWOOD SUBDIVISION
- SOUTH NORWOOD SYNDICATE SUBDIVISION [7/96] September 1887?
- STEWARD PARK SUBDIVISION [10/35] November 1890?
Most land between Montgomery Road and Steward Park Place (south of
Buxton Avenue and north of Highland Avenue) and along the east side of
Steward Park Place.
Note: Hamilton County Recorder's records has spelling as STEWART PARK
(WESLEY A. STEWART)
- SUNNYSIDE SUBDIVISION [9/10]
(see CLENEAY'S SUNNYSIDE SUBDIVISION)
- SURREY SQUARE SUBDIVISION
[202/162] July 1977
- SURREY SQUARE CONDOMINIUM [317/98] June 1995
THOMPSON SUBDIVISION (remainder) [1/103] October 1851 (Surveyed
& platted May 1847)
This subdivision was also listed in the 1977 compilation. The note
"remainder" seems to indicate that it may have been a
continuation of a previous subdivision.
A. TURRILL'S NORWOOD HEIGHTS SUBDIVISION [8V2/18] February-May,
Streets: Mound Avenue (Indian Mound Avenue), Buxton Avenue and Turrill
Avenue (Grandview Place)
Starting at the intersection of Montgomery Road and Indian Mound
Avenue and going south to Buxton Avenue, south for a distance then
going east across Marion Avenue to Grandview Place and then a
distance, then roughly north parallel to Grandview Place to Indian
Mound Avenue and then along that street back to Montgomery Road. (Some
documents give the spelling as "Turrell.")
- WALTELLA PLACE SUBDIVISION
From the intersection of Montgomery Road and O'Brien Place, then along
a line to the western end of Wakefield Place, back to Montgomery Road
and then back to the starting point. Waltella Place, off O'Brien Place
runs into the center of the subdivision.
A. L. WILLIAMS SUBDIVISION [5/255] May 1881
West side of Montgomery Road, including Reily Street, Waverly Avenue
and north side of Williams Avenue. The Cincinnati Northern Railroad
tracks ran diagonally through this subdivision.
Note: Reily (Delaware) and Waverly did not extend to Baker Street
(Ivanhoe Avenue) at that time.