Historical Dates for Norwood, Ohio.

  • 1930
    Allis-Chalmers' "Bullock Works" becomes known as Allis-Chalmers' "Norwood Works."

  • 1930 (February)
    The grade of Williams Avenue between Forest and Burwood Avenues is lowered by two feet.

  • 1930 (May 28)
    The Gradison Construction Company begins work on the reconstruction of Montgomery Road. The first work is the removal of the granite blocks that make up the street's surface. The new road consists of fifty-five foot wide, 4,250 foot long concrete roadway. From start to finish it takes only 99 days, much less than the 200 days allocated for this first section.

  • 1930 (June 28)
    At midnight, Sunday, Norwood switches to a dial system for its telephones. Norwood is the first area of the Cincinnati and Suburban Bell Telephone Company to make the change. The work to make the changeover is started on May 26 and is to be completed by June 25. There are over 13,600 Norwood telephones at the time.

  • 1930 (August 17)
    Tom Mix, movie star and circus performer, visits Norwood and an old friend, John Robinson III. Mr. Mix and his daughter, Thomasina, play on Mr. Robinson's Plaza golf course (one of several Norwood "miniature" or "putt-putt" courses) at the corner of Main and Madison Avenues. (This location may be part of today's Surrey Square parking lot.)

  • 1930 (September 4?)
    After only 99 days, the Montgomery Road repaving from granite blocks to concrete is completed.

  • 1930 (September 19 & 20)
    The City celebrates the dedication of Main Avenue's (Montgomery Road) reopening after 99 days of extensive repaving by the Gradison Construction Company.

  • 1931 (February 2)
    The City of Norwood announces a plan to rezone the city from four to six wards, reflecting the increase in the city's population.

  • 1931 (April)
    The Pennsylvania Railroad announces they are going to build a passenger station on Harris Avenue in Norwood, where it still sits, remodeled.

  • 1932 (December)
    Ren Mulford, Jr., journalist, one of Norwood's first official historians and co-editor of the 1894 book Norwood, Her Homes and Her People, dies.

  • 1932
    Globe-Wernicke defaults on interest due on notes and is placed in receivership.

  • 1933 (February)
    Pennsylvania Railroad opens a new passenger depot on Harris Avenue at a cost of $750,000 (Although $75,000, or even less, seems to be more reasonable - this needs to be verified). It is built to complement the new Union Terminal building in Cincinnati. This is of special interest since it was probably the last passenger depot built in Norwood, and The Cincinnati, Lebanon & Northern Railroad may have stopped their passenger service this same year.

  • 1933 (March 23)
    The third mayor of Norwood (1895), David Davis dies. He was also the first Solicitor of the village, and a former Judge of the Hamilton County Court of Common Pleas.

  • 1933 (November)
    William H. Albers opens Ohio's first supermarket, the Albers Super Market, in Norwood at Montgomery Road and Madison Avenue. This may be the first grocery store anywhere to use the name "supermarket." Mr. Albers is a former president of the Kroger Grocery & Baking Company.

  • 1934 (April)
    Sixty-eight-year-old former Norwood Mayor and City Solicitor, and former Hamilton County assistant prosecutor, Orville Dwyer, dies at his home at 2210 Madison Avenue.

  • 1934 (June)
    As workers strike the Remington-Rand Plant in Norwood, a picketer is shot.

  • 1934 (June 25)
    Former Norwood Mayor and physician, Thomas V. Fitzpatrick, dies at age 79.

  • 1934
    Globe-Wernicke is reorganized under bankruptcy.

  • 1935
    The Schmidlapp Motor Car Company, an Oldsmobile dealership, moves from Reading Road, Cincinnati, to 3804 Montgomery Road, Norwood. This would be on the east side of Montgomery Road, near Cleneay Avenue.

  • 1935 (August)
    Waterworks Swimming Pool began as a Federal W.P.A. project. It was completed June 19, 1936.

  • 1935 (November 28)
    First services held in the new Zion Reformed Church building on Sherwood Lane. Rev. Ben Herbster was the pastor. The church was built of stones that were previously parts of three demolished Cincinnati mansions.

  • 1936 (May)
    The Remington-Rand (formerly the Dalton Adding Machine Company) workers vote to strike again at the Norwood plant. This begins a four-year struggle that ends with the plant being sold. This is the last year of production at the factory that was built in 1914.

  • 1936 (June)
    The Norwood Eagle Building and Loan Association receives a Federal Charter, and changed its name to The Norwood Federal Savings and Loan Association.

  • 1936 (June 19)
    Norwood's new municipal swimming pool opened. The W.P.A. project was started in August 1935. The total cost for the shelter house and swimming pool was $30,606.11, of which the W.P.A.'s part was $18,707.11.

  • 1936
    Rainbow Bread Company locates in Norwood (probably on Cleneay Avenue).

  • 1936
    The Section Avenue Viaduct is dedicated for the first time.

  • 1936 (October 5)
    On that Monday night at 7:30, a motorcade travels from St. Elizabeth along Carter, Williams, Floral, Park, Norwood, Main, Moeller, Quatman, Section, Franklin, and Mills, returning to the church. This parade is to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of St. Elizabeth's Parish.

  • 1936
    Globe-Wernicke keeps the same name as it is reorganized again, this time under a new bankruptcy regulation.

  • 1937 (February 13)
    The United Auto Workers Local 131, Chevrolet and Fisher Body Plants, hold a parade in downtown Norwood to celebrate the February 11th end of the six-week General Motors sit-down strike.

  • 1937
    During the flood of 1937, Norwood provide assistance to Cincinnati, especially by providing clean water from its artesian wells.

  • 1937
    The Strobridge Lithographing Company moves its entire operations to Norwood. At this time Strobridge's business is on the decline with reduced demand for traveling circus and theatrical posters.

  • 1938 (May)
    Seventy-three year old Norwood Mayor Amos L. Eyler suffers a stroke at the conclusion of a city council meeting. After being worked on by Dr. W. B. Carmon and the fire department life squad, he regains consciousness over an hour later. He is transported to Good Samaritan Hospital.

  • 1938
    Norwood celebrates the semi-centennial of the village's founding.

  • 1938
    Just six years after selling his interest in the Norwood Frisch's Stag Lunch restaurant to his brothers, David Frisch opens a new restaurant in Norwood called Frisch's Café. Unfortunately, soon afterwards, he has to close it and his Oakley restaurant because of the Depression.

  • 1938 (October)
    Edward H. Anthony, councilman for South Norwood in 1894, dies at age 82. He had been in a coma for over three weeks after falling at the Old Men's Home in Cincinnati.

  • 1939 (May 9)
    An explosion of a varnish machine at U. S. Printing & Lithographing Company, Beech and Robertson, could be heard for miles. The blast, which occurred forty minutes after the noon hour, caused an estimated $25,000, but no one was injured since most of the 75 workers were at lunch. Over 50 windows were blown out of the four-story factory.

  • 1939 (July)
    Former Norwood Mayor and Judge, George Mills dies.