From the book The Suburbs of Cincinnati, Sidney D. M. Axwell, 1870:
"... after departure from the road from the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton railroad, is Ludlow Grove, nine miles from the depot in the city, a subdivision made in 1869 ...
"Avondale station, eleven miles ... is at (the) crossing of Reading or Lebanon turnpike.
"One mile farther out is Norwood, on the Montgomery pike. Formerly this was called Sharpsburg. In 1869 a valuable addition was laid out in large lots, and the avenues graded north of the village. Since then the name of the postoffice has been changed to Norwood.
"Oakley, one mile east of Norwood, on the Madisonville turnpike, is about three years old ...
"Madisonville, prior to the completion of the railroad in 1866 ..."