SMITH ROAD RAILROAD STATION ON THE C., L. & N. R.R.
(A.K.A. NORWOOD PARK STATION)
(PHOTO IS PROBABLY FROM THE 1880'S OR 1890'S)
Norwood Park Passenger Railroad Station was one of four Norwood passenger stations on the Cincinnati, Lebanon and Northern Railroad. (See the TRANSPORT section for more information about this and other Norwood railroads.) They were, from south to north, Ivanhoe, Hopkins Avenue, Norwood Park and East Norwood.
The Norwood Park Station, which was in use before the subdivision of that name was platted, may have originally been called the Smith Road Station, or even, the Norwood Station of the C., L. & N. R.R. Its location was where today's Smith Road, Lafayette Avenue and Sherman Avenue meet. Until "modern" times, Washington Avenue crossed Lafayette Avenue at the station.
In the mid-to-late 1880's, when South Norwood was being developed, and before the Hopkins Avenue Station was built by local citizens, the Smith Road Station was used as a sort of town hall for that part of Norwood. In 1888, the first volunteer fire brigade was organized by South Norwood citizens at this station. This was years before the better remembered, and possibly better organized, West Norwood or Norwood volunteer fire departments were formed.
Later, the addresses assigned to that corner were 4565 Lafayette Avenue and 4601 Smith Road.